January 1, 2012

New Year's resolutions for teachers

Do you make a New Year's resolution as a teacher? What sorts of promises should teachers be making to improve their own classes and education, in general?

My teacher resolution for 2012 is to continue to grow my year-long projects and to help my students get the most out of them. This requires a commitment to daily research and individual and small-group coaching. I will need to work closely with students to help them align their project goals with their step-by-step plans. More how-to videos will need to be created, in order to help guide students to places and tools that will generate learning opportunities.

My education resolution is to get more teachers committed to building a Results Only Learning Environment. This will take presenting at conferences, posting and commenting on blogs and social media, like Twitter, and discussing the value of results-only learning with colleagues.

So, what teacher and education resolution have you made?

4 comments:

  1. I don't make resolutions because I've never been able to stick to something that I start out telling myself I have to stick to. If I need to change something (lots of things right now), I take it one day at a time; knowing that each day is one day more than if I had not made that change at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lee, great to hear from you. It's much better to be honest with yourself about resolutions, I think, than the 90 percent of Americans who make them and never keep them. Your one-day-at-a-time approach is one I've embraced for years.

    Thanks for starting the discussion and have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mark, I think it is great to make resolutions around our work! I learned a lot of things last year and I typed them out to help me remember them for this year!!

    http://attheprincipalsoffice.wordpress.com/2011/12/27/leadership-lessons-ten-ideas-to-take-from-2011-into-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, as I'm sure you already know, writing down goals is a key part of reaching them. Love what you're doing on your blog. Thanks for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete